:: Re: [DNG] security
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] security
On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 02:47:00PM +0000, Miroslav Rovis wrote:

> I'm trying not to go off topic here... But just a few more words...

Security in systems running Devuan is on topic here. We choose Devuan
in part for security, and to be effective, we need security ll the
way down.

> > I am starting to believe computer security is an unattainable Utopia
> No, Edward. If computer security weren't attainable we wouldn't have Wikileaks,
> and neither would we have Edward Snowden.

> No, it's not unattainable. If I ever become part of a team, we'll be using what
> FSF recommends (and it's what *taiidan* wrote extensively about recently on
> this mailing list: IBM Talos II Power9 processor-based server;

Unfortunately, that comes at too high high a price for many of us.
But the cheaper systems are riddled with unexaminable firmware.
There's no good technical reason why this should be the case. We end
up resenting it but settling for it because it's what we can
afford.

-- hendrik