:: Re: [DNG] What if...
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What if...
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 21:26:24 +0100, Rowland wrote in message
<20170918212624.530e2893@???>:

> [...]
> >
> > ..then we disagree, I only see it as an useful stepping stone
> > tool to help (convince) people upgrade to Devuan Jessie etc.
> >
> > > After all, Debian Wheezy is systemd-free by default (yes, you can
> > > install it yourself if you want to, but people who've done that
> > > aren't looking for Devuan), so what's the benefit in us
> > > advertising a "systemd-free Wheezy" to the world?
> >
> > ..see above.
> >
> > > Anyone doing a review of it would say "this is Debian with some
> > > optional packages taken out".
> >
> > ..see above.

> > > What do you expect that "manpower" to do?
> >
> > ..some of them will help build Devuan in the same way they
> > have helped build Debian.
> > How many, and who, depends on how we welcome them.
> >
> > > Not everyone running Debian as a sysadmin (or end user) is going
> > > to contribute to the Devuan project.
> >
> > ..correct.

> > > 1. Anyone who's running Debian Squeeze or earlier isn't failing to
> > > upgrade because of systemd, therefore Devuan isn't an argument in
> > > their case.
> >
> > ..correct, they only need upgrades if they somehow are exposed to
> > internet-like threats thru usb-sticks, old floppies, lan wiring,
> > dying BIOS chips (BTDT), UEFI firmware with timeouts etc.
> >
> > > 2. Anyone running Debian Wheezy is either systemd-free, in which
> > > case Devuan Wheezy would be identical, or else they've installed
> > > systemd themselves, which presumably means they want to run it,
> > > and therefore aren't interested in Devuan.
> >
> > ..you forget the kinda people who got stuck with systemd because
> > they trusted Debian to be the good guys. BTDT.
> >
> > ..the only real difference between your vision of Debian Wheezy
> > and Devuan Wheezy is the upgrade path away from systemd.
> >
> > ..the difference between your vision of Devuan Wheezy and mine,
> > is I only want it to contain the bare minimum people might need
> > to _safely_ move on upgrading to Devuan Jessie.
> >
> > ..that bit "_safely_" is what most people hesitating, may wanna
> > see a track record on. And, either way, good or bad, we will
> > build it.
> >
> > > 3. Anyone running Debian Wheezy who wants to upgrade to Jessie can
> > > upgrade to Devuan Jessie to avoid systemd. If there are problems
> > > with that upgrade process, *that*'s what we need help with
> > > debugging and fixing.
> >
> > ..that too, yes.
> >
> > > 4. Anyone running Debian Jessie who wants to get away from systemd
> > > can also upgrade to Devuan Jessie. Again, if there are problems
> > > with that upgrade, that's where we need help, not with taking
> > > Debian Wheezy, stripping out the optional systemd bits, and
> > > relabelling it as Devuan.
> >
> > ..that's why I said "_minimal_", yank out "everything",
> > keep only what people may need to survive upgrading
> > from Debian Wheezy-and-earlier, to Devuan Jessie.
> >
> > ..the smaller it is, the easier it will be to support
> > and maintain.
> >

> The problem is that wheezy is only supported until May next year and

...whom we might use here. Manpower opportunity right there.
They volonteer because they see a need to help people in need,
just like they did helping build Debian.

..and, they are on a deadline.

> You are suggesting that Devuan uses some of its
> precious resources to support something that is probably going to be
> EOL by the time Devuan has it fully up and running.

..temporarily, yes, I believe this will be a worthwhile investment.

> This would take away time from Jessie and Ascii.

..correct in the short term, hopefully not in the long term.

> Which do you think Devuan should support, a dying Debian version or
> the supported Devuan version and its replacement ?

..above all, the volonteers trying to help people stuck there.
I only see my minima "Devuan Wheezy" idea as an upgrade tool
towards Devuan Jessie.

..hopefully as simple as a metapackage for nosystemd-unstable
and debootstrap? Or a flavor?
Basically a Wheezy netboot copy with our stuff thrown in and
handily useful to the volonteers.

> I know which I would vote for, especially as you can upgrade from
> wheezy to Devuan Jessie very easily.

..aye. Now try convince some nervous bean counter on a deadline
it can be done safely so he doesn't get fired for letting his IT
guy try do the right thing.

..chances are we agree when we are done growling. ;o)

Scenarios always come in sets of three: