:: Re: [DNG] What if...
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What if...
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 14:35:24 +0100, Antony wrote in message
<201709181435.24801.Antony.Stone@???>:

> On Monday 18 September 2017 at 14:27:04, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 12:59:20 +0100, KatolaZ wrote in message
> > >
> > > There is no need to be worried. Devuan Jessie is running on
> > > thousands of servers out there, as is Devuan ASCII doing.
> >
> > ..for _some_ people, this worry is not just about "whether Devuan
> > Jessie works", this is also about whether they have a job and can
> > pay for their childrens food and home the next few months.
> > Which is exactly why they stuck their neck out and recommended
> > "rock solid" Debian Wheezy _LTS_, years ago when it was rock solid.
> >
> > ..and it's why I voiced my idea of a "Devuan Wheezy LTS 0.x" style
> > fork. We can expect these people to volonteer work for us like what
> > they have for debian.org, once they see us as a viable way forward
> > for themseves, careerwise and financially.
>
> We have Devuan Jessie LTS.
>
> There's a perfectly good migration process from Debian Wheezy to
> Devuan Jessie.

..and we still haven't proven it good enough for many of them.
And that can _only_ happen on Devuan Jessie LTS' own merit.

> I don't think there's any point in Devuan attempting to support the
> outdated packages in Debian Wheezy when we are already offering an
> escape route to those syadmins who've chosen to stick with Wheezy
> because they don't want systemd.

..you missed my "_minimal_." ;o)
I agree supporting outdated stuff is a waste of time and good
manpower, it'll only be useful to help people update to Devuan
Jessie etc.

> I'd say there are two categories of people still (deliberately)
> running Wheezy:
>
> 1. Those who would upgrade to Jessie except for systemd.

..according to http://popcon.debian.org/ 30809 had popularity-contest
1.56 (wheezy) installed, about 11000 more have even older versions,
and according to our own http://popcon.devuan.org/ and to
http://popcon.debian.org/ we still don't match the 2693 who might
still have 1.46 (lenny) installed.

..plenty good manpower out there we could use here. ;o)

> 2. Those who don't want to upgrade something that's still working.
>
> Devuan Jessie is the solution for group 1, and there is no solution
> for group 2 because they're happy with what they've already got.

..once we have proven e.g. Devuan Jessie LTS etc on their own
merits, they might get curious and wanna try our stuff and wind
up helping out. Just give it time. ;o)

Scenarios always come in sets of three: