:: Re: [DNG] upgrade from Debian stret…
Author: fsmithred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] upgrade from Debian stretch to Devuan ascii?
On 09/17/2017 01:49 PM, fsmithred wrote:
> I just did an upgrade from debian stretch to devuan ascii about an hour
> ago. It was pretty painless, but I didn't install a lot to begin with.
>
> - standard system install of debian stretch plus openbox, lxterminal,
> lxpanel and a few other packages.
> - changed sources to devuan ascii, update, add key, update again
> - install sysvinit-core, reboot.
> - [optional] install live-config-sysvinit to replace live-config-systemd
> - remove libpam-systemd systemd systemd-shim
> - apt-get autoremove
> - install consolekit policykit-1 libpam-ck-connector (I don't know if
> these were really needed. It seemed ok, but I'm using startx to get a
> desktop.)
> - install xserver-xorg-legacy
> - [if no display manager] add needs_root_rights=yes to
> /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
>
> Anyone paying close attention will notice that I did not run an upgrade or
> dist-upgrade yet. There's a problem with the version of libudev1. If I try
> to install the version in ascii, aptitude gives me three choices:
> replace udev with eudev.
> take the ascii version of libudev1 and remove xorg and lots more.
> keep libudev at the current version.
>
> For now, I'll keep it the way it is. There are only a few packages that
> will upgrade. If I get a little more ambitious, I might try reinstalling
> debian with the full gnome desktop and then switching to ascii. That
> probably won't be fun, but I'm curious to see what gnome3 looks like. I've
> never installed it on hardware, and it doesn't shine to its full beauty in
> a VM.[/sarcasm]
>
> fsmithred

More info:
Instead of upgrade, I individually installed some of the packages that
were upgradable, and I added devuan-baseconf.
I now have devuan versions of dbus bash-completion and sysvinit-utils.

I didn't change samba-libs, libsmbclient and libwbclient0 because I
currently have newer versions from stretch security.

fsmithred