:: Re: [DNG] rolling release?
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] rolling release?
On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 04:07:01PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 11:49:35PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> >
> > Just a guess: A rolling-release Devuan wouldn't be especially popular.
>
> Isn't Devuan testing a rolling release?

No, it's not, and luckily so.

There are already sans-systemd distro using a rolling-release scheme,
and I can't see a single reason why Devuan should even consider going
in that direction. If they are not enough, then anybody is free to
start working on a new one.

One of the characteristic strengths of Devuan is the fact that you
know a stable branch won't fail you, and that a testing branch will be
much more stable than most of the "stable" distros out there. You
simply can't guarantee this level of stability with a rolling
release. In many typical Devuan use cases (mission-critical services,
for instance), you absolutely don't want the latest "upgrade" of a
package, because you can't afford any random upgrade to break your
system, even temporarily. In Devuan Jessie you have around 42.000
packages...

I personally don't understand why humans have a natural tendency
towards uniforming everything to the same level of grey (and that's a
general thought, Hendrik, really not much related to your comment...).

My2Cents

KatolaZ