:: Re: [DNG] I had an idea, for a devu…
Página Inicial
Autor: John Franklin
Para: zap
CC: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] I had an idea, for a devuan fork, and other stuff

> On Sep 11, 2017, at 12:45 PM, zap <calmstorm@???> wrote:
>
> It would have only these things different:
>
> it would only be based off of unstable and experimental version, aka
> pure rolling release,
>
> it would be completely free software and use linux libre as the kernel,
>
> otherwise it would follow every other devuan guideline... and/or way of
> thinking.

[snip]

> I only mention this with my devuan fork idea, because this means that
> free software only systems could drastically increase by ten fold.
>
> without blobs I mean... heh. :)
>
> Any thoughts to what I have said?

Running your own fork is a lot more work than you think.

If you’re serious about this, start by building your own Apt repo with your custom kernel, apt zap-dist.conf files, and some meta-packages that depend on stuff in Devuan unstable. Once you can get to the point of installing your fork by taking a stock Devuan system, adding your repo to /etc/apt/sources.d/ and running “apt-get install zap-linux”, you’ll have a good baseline for a full fork.

Good luck with it.

jf