:: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan meet Se…
Author: Evilham
To: devuan-dev
Subject: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan meet Sept 06/07 2017
Devuan meet Sept 06/07 2017 @20:30 UTC

Meet at @20:15 on #devuan-dev for meet location.

********************
NOTE for next week:
We will put up the pad on Saturday and see if there is anything worth
discussing on Tuesday, if not we skip Wednesday's meet.
Also please indicate on the pad whether you would be at the Wednesday
meet or not.
********************

Since some devs are refusing to join us on hangouts, let's try
https://meet.jit.si/devuan.
   * jitsi worked pretty well. today.
     If we have a meet next week, let's do that again.   (gl)

This weeks pad. Please add notes before the meet:
https://pad.dyne.org/code/#/1/edit/z-BmEKjC0O6-HMlNhh3eaA/h8NmhuE2vlLrk97Rr+N6oYqL

The obligatory unfinished business reminder:

Current infrastructure:
https://pad.dyne.org/code/#/1/edit/usQoFADFDsJ9UAFbVm0H7A/FPGyscaoxWTAqqgscT1bw7VA

Build system improvements:
https://pad.dyne.org/code/#/1/edit/nXiySd0FPHvG8pBgGgImxA/aJ87TdwIEWiIk96GZcFwypnb

Present: blinkdog, tremon, rrq, fsmithred, evilham, golinux

# Evilham
## Devuan.org:
  * Requested access to gdo/devuan-editors/devuan-www
    - Access granted as developer.  I can't do more than that (gl)
  * Will restructure the branches mess, seeing that if there was a
    reason for it, it's does not seem to apply any more.
  * Would need limited ssh access to where devuan.org is running in
    order to set up the page updating thingy
      - (We will try scorsh for that - KatolaZ)
  * Will clean up the code for the script that generates
    devuan.evilham.com; that way we can move it to devuan.org's server
    if deemed appropriate and serve it, e.g. on devuan.org/mirrors
  * If somebody sets up "wwwdev.devuan.org" or sth like that on nginx
    and the DNS entries the same way devuan.org is set up (maybe behind
    basic auth), I could set up a place where we can test around being
    sure we don't break devuan's page.
      - I thought we'd be testing on your mirror site (gl)
        That server is available until mid-October aprox. (Evilham)
      - there was beta.devuan.org, why not that? (~parazyd)
   (Centurion Dan): my thoughts on how to approach this -
        We can set this up as a custom jenkins job, but I'd suggest we
        should do structuring the result as a deb package installing to
        `/usr/share/doc/Devuan_Doc/html`.
        Then we only need to add a customised job to push the site to
        the webserver.
        This serves to make it easier for mirrors of the main website
        to use, as well as provides an optional local installation of
        the site as part of the site, and thus we could extend it to
        provide all the Documentation for Devuan.
          - Why exactly would we need mirrors of devuan.org?
            I thought that documentation was going on the wiki?  And I'm
            not convinced we should copy the Devuan site format.
            I think we should do our own thing.   (gl)

# fsmithred
  * Shouldn't we have ascii-security tracking stretch-security?
    It appears to be empty.
    - I found the stretch-security version of chromium in
      ascii-proposed-updates. ascii-updates is also empty.
      * current amprolla was never merging these. CenturionDan told me
        the reason but i forgot (~parazyd)
      * amprolla3 is merging so it should be solved

# parazyd (pad and irc)
  * amprolla3 is deployed with a new gpg key on a closed-down KVM on
    nemesis.do
    * this requires rebuilding devuan-keyring for all suites
    * the stuff is being updated and rsynced every hour and sent to
      pkgmaster
    * this is all actually documented, waiting on KatolaZ to fill in
      more about pkgmaster and see what to do with it after it's defined

# Anonymous: (pad)
  * Clock at git.devuan.org is still off, breaking 2FA
  * Do devuan developers use 2FA?
    - KatolaZ has (hopefully) corrected the time on git.d.o
    - (DONE) Need to setup ntpdate on cron (the ntpdate package by
      Debian is just silly....)
    - Checked that 2FA works at least for now :) (Evilham)

# rrq
   * dev1galaxy.org has got listed on https://spamrl.com (as spam
     source), with the result that it's emails are bounced (not all,
     but many).
   * Possibly due to that the reverse DNS says galaxy.devuan.org rather
     than dev1galaxy.org -- fixed
     - I have contacted those affected and will complete their
       registration manually.  (gl)
   - 91.134.216.234 is also on www.sorbs.net -- rrq started their
       de-listing process
   - Evilham checked 15.00 UTC that we are not on any BL
   - issue with letsencrypt cert renewal; apparently the certbot fails
     to deposit the "acme-challenge" at the right place,
     or nginx fails to serve it. Or something else causing that effect.
     -- tried with making .well-known be writable (rrq at 08:21 AEST)
       Is this still an issue? should I look into it? (evilham)

# dimitsos (pad)
   * It's been a few days since the pad containing the project's roadmap
     has been deleted. Now, it says "this is not going anywhere".
     This is very disappointing.
     - I hadn't noticed.  Unfortunately there is no accountability who
       did it and no way to retrieve it unless someone has a backup
       as there is no versioning on the pad. Maybe someone has a backup?
       LOL!  I had saved a hard copy and it's been restored. (gl)
   * Are there going to be any point releases for jessie? IMHO, it would
     be sane to do so.
     - I have not heard any talk about point releases for jessie.
       But then there has not been much talk about anything in well over
       a month. (gl)
     - There will be a point release, with all the stuff in
       jessie-updates and jessie-proposed-updates (KatolaZ)
   * Is ascii going to be released for CPUs beyond x86/arm? IMHO, it
     would be sane to do so, as well, but I'm not aware of the
     constraints.
     - If someone takes on the project(s), anything is possible.  (gl)
   * Can the recent debate over the preferred development/release
     infrastructure/model lead to an answer the last question?
     - Probably not unless volunteers step up to do it.  (gl)

# golinux
  * We shouldn't be calling ascii 'testing' - it's very confusing
      - thought we already addressed that last meet?
      Just needs website push/update (tremon)
    - It needs to be changed in the repos.  Would be better to use
      release names but that may not be possible.  (gl)
    - This also needs confirmation from developers
  * when are beowulf repos going to be available?  Anyone????

  * onefang and blinkdog are now able to work on the wiki
    - Thank you for getting me approved (blinkdog)  YW.  Just happened
       to catch FTG on irc this aft.  (gl)]
  * Posted to d1g: 'Installing GNOME shell on Devuan'
    https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1581 I doubt anyone in this
    crowd would go there but you never know.
    - It's encouraging that it's even possible (even though I don't
      personally care for it -- tremon)

# blinkdog
  * Wikified the Devuan ASCII Roadmap:
    https://friendsofdevuan.org/doku.php/devuan_ascii_roadmap
    * golinux restored the original material here:

https://pad.dyne.org/pad/#/1/edit/L2WRkjoDnsWGCEJ0Zj8Xfw/yFwOTWDSr5gKOK2R7WksGa1U
      * +1  Thank you!  (gl)

# KatolaZ (pad and irc)
  - not much to report
  - will send the documentation about pkgmaster (just need to
    double-check it and commit to infrastructure-doc)
  - will finish up the setup of pkgmaster, probably by tomorrow - after
    that we can start testing mirrors
  - have to work on a weird reportbug bug (just reported on #devuan)
    there are still places where smtphost is hardcoded FFS...
  - fixed ntpdate on git.devuan.org

# tremon
  - Ascii roadmap is helpful, but lacks dependencies. Are any
    tasks/goals blocked by other items on the list?
     - Would be nice if it was fleshed out and updated.
       It was written a week or so after jessie went stable and an ascii
       beta was planned for a few weeks after that.
       And here we are 3 months later . . .