:: Re: [DNG] Purism Librem and disabli…
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Purism Librem and disabling Intel ME: it can be done [Re: TALOS 2 - The Libre Owner Controlled POWER9 Workstation/Server ]
On Tue, 5 Sep 2017 at 16:05:21 +0200
Edward Bartolo <edbarx@???> wrote:

> So, it means, without my knowledge as a computer user, I have a HIDDEN
> OPERATING SYSTEM running under my nose.

It's much more than that: in the CPU and PCH chip you have 3 (THREE!) cpus
derived from vintage 486 plus a few modern opcodes (probably related to
hardware cryptography) and an OS derived from Minix that implement ME and
related subsystems.

> Securitiwise, it is like
> running MS Windows notwithstanding I am running Devuan ASCII!
>
> With all this, a tinfoil hat is completely useless. I need an armoured
> hat with the same thickness like a war tank, but will it help?

The whole harness is supposed to be disabled as described in the link to
the Positive Technologies team.

> Hiding a complete OS integrated on the main processor's silicon die,
> and to add insult to injury, complete with a dedicated processor,
> filesystem and all!

Yep, that's it! Three cores that run their own OS separated from the main
CPU. Scary!

--
Alessandro Selli http://alessandro.route-add.net
VOIP SIP: dhatarattha@???