Til: Alessandro Selli, dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Purism Librem and disabling Intel ME: it can be done [ Re: TALOS 2 - The Libre Owner Controlled POWER9 Workstation/Server ]
On 09/05/2017 06:34 AM, Alessandro Selli wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 at 07:32:10 -0400
> zap <calmstorm@???> wrote:

>>>    This is *not* what they claim:

>>> https://puri.sm/learn/intel-me/
>>>
>>> "Freeing the ME is a challenge, but not impossible"
>>>
>>> "By working with Intel, motherboard design developers, as well as our
>>> coreboot developers, Purism has put in motion a solid approach on how to
>>> run a freed Intel ME *in the future*."
>> Sorry, but have you talked to libreboot or coreboot about this? and
>> also, not even google with all their money can convince intel to give
>> their secrets to them. That for me is a solid reason why I said this.
>    The secret is no more a secret:

> http://blog.ptsecurity.com/2017/08/disabling-intel-me.html
>
> August 28, 2017
> Disabling Intel ME 11 via undocumented mode
>
> "Our team of Positive Technologies researchers has delved deep into the
> internal architecture of Intel Management Engine (ME) 11, revealing a
> mechanism that can disable Intel ME after hardware is initialized and the
> main processor starts. In this article, we describe how we discovered this
> undocumented mode and how it is connected with the U.S. government's High
> Assurance Platform (HAP) program."

That isn't disabling it, it is still involved in the boot process and
you are simply again trusting intels word that everything is fine with
zero verification.

I take it you work for purism....raptor has made a legitimately owner
controlled computer - whats stopping you? (besides obsession over intel x86)
It is possible to make a POWER laptop with todays lower wattage POWER cpu's.