:: Re: [DNG] Proposed change in behavi…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Erik Christiansen
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Proposed change in behaviour for ascii: eudev net.ifnames logic reversing proposal
On 02.09.17 14:49, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 02/09/2017 à 08:25, Erik Christiansen a écrit :
> > Looking at "man ifrename", we see:
> >
> > -u Enable udev output mode. This enables proper integration of ifrename
> >     in the udev framework, udevd(8) will use ifrename to assign interface
> >     names present in /etc/iftab. In this mode the output of ifrename can
> >     be parsed directly by udevd(8) as an IMPORT action. This requires
> >     udev version 107 or later.

> > As this appears capable of maintaining static nomenclature for a sane
> > user interface, in the face of lower level irrationality, there appears
> > to be no basis for doing other than retaining the higher standard of
> > udev behaviour.
> >
> > Not only is it feasible to retain static interface names, using a file
> > as we theorised on the thread, but that file is /etc/iftab. Simple.
> >
>     This is an easier configuration mechanism than editing udev rules.
> Nevertheless I bet Udev insists on renaming and will generate an entry in
> this file for every newly discovered interface. In Wheezy this could be
> disabled by providing a trivial version of
> /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules. I don't see any obvious
> method to disable it with newer versions of Udev.

Are you saying that newer versions of udev lack the IMPORT action?
(It's still there on Debian 9.0) The ifrename manpage suggests that it
is a recent improvement. If it is to be removed, then that is yet
another Poetterwank.

It is a simple matter to use chattr to prevent /etc/iftab being
systemdixed, but it seems not to exist if ifrename has not been
installed and activated, at least in my experience.

>     If there is a way to disable automatic new name generation, and since
> Devuan is much about freedom of choice, it would be nice to provide two
> mutually exclusive packages for each of udev, eudev and vdev, one with
> automatic name generation and one without. I insist that there are many
> cases where renaming is pointless and yet a burden when it happens - eg the
> majority of laptops and desktops.

An installer question would perhaps be a light weight interim solution.
But I have nothing against a little extra work to tweak the distro to
suit my needs. A package install and config file population is a cheap
price for a properly working system free of intrusive Poetterwanks.

Erik