:: Re: [DNG] Proposed change in behavi…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Didier Kryn
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Proposed change in behaviour for ascii: eudev net.ifnames logic reversing proposal
Le 02/09/2017 à 08:25, Erik Christiansen a écrit :
> On 21.08.17 01:38, Daniel Reurich wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We discussed a few weeks back in a dev meeting whether or not to revert
>> to jessie like naming scheme for ethernet interfaces by default.
>>
>> The eudev package (currently found in the experimental repos and at
>> https://git.devuan.org/devuan-packages/eudev ) utilizes the same logic
>> like udev does when it comes to interface naming schemes. The patch
>> appended below would reverse the logic and make it opt-in rather than
>> opt-out.
>>
>> This would lead network interface names default to the old "eth0" or
>> "wlan0" scheme, rather than the new(?) "enp0s3"-like scheme. It implies
>> having "net.ifnames=1" in the kernel cmdline to get the "enp0s3"-like
>> scheme and not touching anything to get the "eth0" scheme.
>>
>> To keep these things consistent we should also apply the same patch to
>> udev as well.
>>
>> Thoughts??
> Looking at "man ifrename", we see:
>
> -u Enable udev output mode. This enables proper integration of ifrename
>     in the udev framework, udevd(8) will use ifrename to assign interface
>     names present in /etc/iftab. In this mode the output of ifrename can
>     be parsed directly by udevd(8) as an IMPORT action. This requires
>     udev version 107 or later.

> As this appears capable of maintaining static nomenclature for a sane
> user interface, in the face of lower level irrationality, there appears
> to be no basis for doing other than retaining the higher standard of
> udev behaviour.
>
> Not only is it feasible to retain static interface names, using a file
> as we theorised on the thread, but that file is /etc/iftab. Simple.

     This is an easier configuration mechanism than editing udev rules.
Nevertheless I bet Udev insists on renaming and will generate an entry
in this file for every newly discovered interface. In Wheezy this could
be disabled by providing a trivial version of
/lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules. I don't see any
obvious method to disable it with newer versions of Udev.

     If there is a way to disable automatic new name generation, and
since Devuan is much about freedom of choice, it would be nice to
provide two mutually exclusive packages for each of udev, eudev and
vdev, one with automatic name generation and one without. I insist that
there are many cases where renaming is pointless and yet a burden when
it happens - eg the majority of laptops and desktops.

     Didier