:: Re: [DNG] noatime by default
Author: John Franklin
To: Nate Bargmann
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] noatime by default

> On Aug 28, 2017, at 9:53 PM, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@???> wrote:
>
> This has been an interesting thread and has piqued my interest in
> getting an SSD for my Thinkpad T410. I see that Amazon is selling the
> Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD for $140.00 which
> seems to be about the best price on the Web. Examining its specs,
> it seems as though there might be some advice against purchasing this
> particular model in this thread.

Unless it’s a refurb, get it. I have one in my MacBook Pro. Lightning fast, silent, and sips power. Second best upgrade I ever did, only behind a 960 EVO NVMe in a Thinkpad T460s.

Don’t worry about it burning out. Since getting my first SSD, I’ve spilled coffee into more laptops than I’ve lost SSDs to wear and age. A silicone keyboard skin will extend the life of your computer more than noatime.

> A lot of the SSD information seems to be a couple of years old. I
> suppose the technology of the SSDs and the kernel's support has
> stabilized enough that not much new needs to be written. Still, this is
> new territory for me and I'd like to make a good choice and set it up
> properly.

Indeed.

jf
--