:: Re: [DNG] Lost in grub
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Lost in grub
On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 13:51:34 -0400, fsmithred wrote in message
<83f4fdb4-aa61-965e-6ec0-9fc84f851fd5@???>:

> On 08/28/2017 10:55 AM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > Grub seems a lot more complicated now than it used to be a few
> > years ago when I last upgraded Debian from one release to another.
> >
> > My usual procedure is to copy the system to new partitions
> > (adjusting the size according to what I actually guess I might
> > need), editig the copied /etc/fstab, making sure the old and new
> > systems boot properly and mount the right partitions, and then
> > upgrading the new one.
>
> Copy the system to the new partition.
> Edit fstab in the new partition.
> Boot into the new partition from grub command line.
> Type 'c' at the boot menu to get a grub prompt.
> Example: (Edit as needed. Drives count from zero, partitions count
> from one.) set root=(hd0,msdos3)
>     linux /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/sda3
>     initrd /initrd.img
>     boot

> Then when you're in the new system, run
>     grub-install /dev/sda
>     update-grub

> This will put the system on the new partition in charge of booting and
> will generat a new menu. It should also make a boot entry for the old
> system.
>
> fsmithred

..also worth noting that bash style commandline completion works quite
nicely in grub's command line too, you can e.g. write "set root=(hd"
and then hit tab twice, to see what grub finds.

..in really bad cases you may want to boot the good old legacy grub-1.x
from an old install iso and then use that to chainload a rescue iso,
which will (allways IME) take you to that iso's boot loader menu.

..the new way with grub-2.x is grummier IME, e.g. "linux /linux16"
and then "initrd /path/to/iso/you/wanna/boot which may work if you know
the right boot command line for that iso or hang it" and finally [F10]
or "boot" to boot it.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: