:: Re: [DNG] An alternative to renamin…
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] An alternative to renaming [was Re: Proposed change in behaviour for ascii: eudev net.ifnames]
On Thursday 24 August 2017 at 22:04:40, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 10:28:55 +0200
>
> Antony Stone <Antony.Stone@???> wrote:
> >
> > 3. To those who have been posting it - please stop, and get back
> > on-topic about making Devuan a better distribution.
>
> Ummm, no. Part of making a better Devuan distribution is deciding
> intelligently whether to:
>
> 1) Call the interface enpo22f4gtx
> 2) Call the interface eth0
> 3) Have the kernel call it enpo22f4gtx and have a user utility deduce
>    it to something like $eth0of1

Agreed.

That has absolutely nothing to do with Soviet censorship, Volkwagen starter
motors, Polish politics, and whatever else has been going on in these threads
over the past few days.

So, please keep talking about ethernet interface names - I agree that that's
important (and, for what it's worth, my preference is to stick with ethX as a
default, but provide the option to use the MAC address instead as a UUID
equivalent)

Antony.

--
This sentence contains exacly three erors.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.