:: Re: [DNG] Proposed change in behavi…
Author: Narcis Garcia
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Proposed change in behaviour for ascii: eudev net.ifnames logic reversing proposal
El 20/08/17 a les 21:53, fsmithred ha escrit:
> On 08/20/2017 10:27 AM, Adam Borowski wrote:
>>
>> * systemd-udev's promise of providing _stable_ names didn't deliver. They
>> still change on major kernel upgrades, and sometimes on every boot.
>> And their chosen naming is utterly insane (wlxf81a671bcfae, WTF?).
>> Only systemd proponents still say it's a good idea.
>>

> They change? I thought they were based on which hardware slot they were
> in. I've been ranting about how you have to open the box and look inside
> to predict the names. Have I been wrong all this time?
>
> Yeah, the name on a usb dongle is insane. I didn't stick with it long
> enough to figure out if that number comes from somewhere or is random.
>
> fsmithred

I suggest:
ethX/wlanX naming BUT:
Based on last MAC byte;
- When MAC ends with :00 -> eth0
- When MAC ends with :01 -> eth1
- When MAC ends with :0A -> eth10
- When MAC ends with :10 -> eth16
* When 2 NICs have same MAC byte (01) -> eth1 & eth1a & ... eth1b
* Anyway, maintain full support of
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

This logic does not guarantee 100% predictable naming (think about
removable NICs), but gives enough confort to a sysadmin deals any with
situation.