:: [DNG] Proposed change in behaviour …
Author: Edward Bartolo
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Proposed change in behaviour for ascii: eudev net.ifnames logic reversing proposal
If Devuan decides to use a different device name naming scheme apart
from the one discussed several months ago (a year ago?), it will
result in breaking simple-netaid-backend and simple-netaid-gui. I used
the naming scheme en* for ethN and wl* for wlanN.

Regarding this discussion what I have to say is what a Captain Obvious
would tell: 'Computers do not read minds, not even minds read other
minds'. Therefore, if I were in a position to take decisions I would
not expect a computer to know what I need. However, a computer should
have no difficulty processing data. A decent OS should save a map of
how hardware is connected, somewhat like a hardware tree with all
points fully defined. That way, if on a future boot, nodeX is not
found or is replaced with some other hardware, nodeZ, that we assume
existed before, will continue to be assigned with the same device
name.

The above should be unaffected by the worst of race conditions
provided these do not result in a complete OS freeze.