:: Re: [DNG] Proposed change in behavi…
Página Principal
Autor: Erik Christiansen
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Proposed change in behaviour for ascii: eudev net.ifnames logic reversing proposal
On 20.08.17 16:09, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 01:38:00AM +1200, Daniel Reurich wrote:
> > This would lead network interface names default to the old "eth0" or
> > "wlan0" scheme, rather than the new(?) "enp0s3"-like scheme. It implies
> > having "net.ifnames=1" in the kernel cmdline to get the "enp0s3"-like
> > scheme and not touching anything to get the "eth0" scheme.
> >
> > To keep these things consistent we should also apply the same patch to
> > udev as well.
> >
> > Thoughts??
>
> I'll add my vote in for the old scheme as the default, even though it
> isn't perfect as was pointed out.

ISTM that any temporary identifier an interface might have had during
boot is of less than zero significance. (What has not been seen by the
user didn't really exist.)

Predictable traditional interface names are a requirement for easy static
routing with "route add ..." commands. Screw with that, and it's time to
move on to FreeBSD.

In my 30 years of software development, I found it useful to
differentiate between _what_ and _how_. In this case, the deliverable is
unchanged userland behaviour, so decades of learning need not be
discarded for spurious reasons - that's _what_ is useful. Whether or not
some mickey mouse interim identifier is used during boot is merely an
ephemeral artifact of _how_ the deliverable is reached.

The _how_ may change without reference to the users, but _what_ must
remain unchanged. (Admittedly, I was paid for my efforts, so
responsibility to users was never in doubt. But what's the point of
Systemdixing Devuan? We'll just move on to FreeBSD if Devuan is polluted
by this unhelpful Systemdix crap.)

Erik