:: [DNG] ascii kernel
Author: fraser kendall
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] ascii kernel
Hi Devs,

Got myself in a bit of a pickle. Upgraded two machines (#2 and #1) from
jessie to ascii, got two different kernels (#2 got v3.16 and #1 got
v4.9) from the (.gb.mirror and .auto.mirror respectively) sources, both
machines ran into issues with boinc
(https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1139), subsequently some or
all results from machine#1 running kernel 4.9 were rejected from
the project as 'Errors'.

Problems with boinccmd not yet resolved (?MySQL and localhost), but
downgrading boinc (and libboinc7) from 7.6.33 (ascii) to 7.4.23
(jessie) got the boinc-client working normally on machine #2.

However, the v4.9 kernel on machine #1 does not load the
connection tracking modules (as from v4.7), and (?so) my iptables
ruleset was ineffective, the host key got changed and I got (ssh) locked
out of machine #1 .From the console, I found auth.log had been wiped,
and configurations had been returned to default in /etc/pam.d/login,
etc/pam.d/sshd, /etc/security/access.conf. I repartitioned and
reinstalled jessie on machine #1.

I have upgraded kernel 3.19 to linux-libre-4.1 on 5 of the 7 devuan
machines (including machine#2 (ascii) and machine#1 (jessie) without
apparent issues, but the LTS 4.1 is only supported until september 2017
and so i'd like to upgrade to the current LTS (4.9), but need to
resolve the conntrack issue. I posted
(https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1549) for advice but have not
yet heard back.

I have 2 specific questions:

1) Could someone please check that the default options (=keep existing
config) in the ascii upgrade with respect to /etc/pam.d (and others)
are being applied unless specifically overridden by user?
2) Which netfilter modules need to be loaded to restore the stateful
firewall (and thus my existing iptables ruleset)? I can then upgrade
the ascii machine to the native (v4.9) kernel.

Sorry this post is so long, and hope that it's not inappropriate to
post it on dng: if there is a problem with the pam.d in ascii in some
environments, I judged it better to raise the issue here rather than on
the public forum. Hope that's ok

thanks
fraser