:: Re: [DNG] suggestion
Author: John Franklin
To: Kees Schoenmakers
CC: dng
New-Topics: Re: [DNG] Updating PCI ID lists in installer (Was: suggestion)
Subject: Re: [DNG] suggestion

> On Aug 17, 2017, at 3:31 AM, Kees Schoenmakers <kslinux@???> wrote:
>
> When I installed Devuan first time on my (recently new) hardware, I
> was initially left with some vague information provided by 'lspci'.
> That hindered me by searching/selecting the right
> drivers and X configuration. I discovered the 'update_pciids' utility
> in /usr/sbin.
> After running that everything got more clear for me.
>
> "RUN the 'update_pciids' utility as part of the installation process
> on the target!”

Adding a network dependency on a package install is generally a bad idea. What happens if the machine doesn’t have external network access, as is often the case for corporate build servers or people installing Devuan from USB sticks where the wireless card isn’t supported by the base kernel? Should the package install fail or silently continue?

It would be better for the lspci program to emit a warning “PCI ID list is out of date, please run update_pciids to update.”

Adding a cron job to the lspci package is also an option.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin@???