著者: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] OT: most processors are insecure (was Re: Nvidia Drivers)
On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 16:29:50 +0200, Alessandro wrote in message
<33ad4565-eb5d-f434-cb8d-0bbd8a8a378b@???>:

> On 15/08/2017 at 05:13, Taiidan@??? wrote:
> > FYI Many big companies get intel to include classified instruction
> > sets to give them some kind of competitive edge.
> >
> > I can't find the link but it was in a bloomberg article about xeon
> > CPU's.
>
> Maybe it's this piece:
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-09/how-intel-makes-a-chip
>
> Another way to make a chip faster is to add special circuits that only
> do one thing, but do it extremely quickly. Roughly 25 percent of the
> E5’s circuits are specialized for, among other tasks, compressing
> video and encrypting data. There are other special circuits on the
> E5, but Intel can’t talk about those because they’re created for its
> largest customers, the so-called Super 7: Google
> <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-06/google-taps-ibm-rackspace-to-dent-intel-s-hold-on-server-chips>,
> Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft, Baidu, Alibaba, and Tencent. Those
> companies buy—and often assemble for themselves—Xeon-powered servers
> by the hundreds of thousands. If you buy an off-the-shelf Xeon server
> from Dell or HP, the Xeon inside will contain technology that’s
> off-limits to you. “We’ll integrate [a cloud customer’s] unique
> feature into the product, as long as it doesn’t make the die so much
> bigger that it becomes a cost burden for everyone else,” says Bryant.
> “When we ship it to Customer A, he’ll see it. Customer B has no idea
> that feature is there.”

..does "FSB" qualify as a "3-letter agency" in this context and at this
time? ;o)

..the "OT: most processors are insecure" is clearly worth a mention at
the Chemnitzer Linux-Tage.

..and somebody at the Chemnitzer Linux-Tage might know when and how etc
the systemd deveopers learned what we learned in that thread here.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: