著者: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] Nvidia Drivers
On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 07:45:11 -0400, zap wrote in message
<733bb945-c664-c361-2690-17402dbdb245@???>:

> > Was X working before you tried the nvidia driver?
> > Does /etc/xorg.conf exist now? If so, rename it so you can revert
> > to a working X.
> >
> > Maybe try 'apt-get -f install' (without any packages named) to
> > install any missing dependencies. I don't think that will do it,
> > but it's worth a try.
> >
> > Someone else is having similar problems, and it seems there's a
> > mismatch in versions of the different parts of nvidia.
> > https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1540
> >
> > I've used the nvidia driver in the past, and I tended to have
> > better luck using the binaries downloaded from nvidia. There are
> > some tricks with that, too. (you have to use the version of gcc
> > that was used to compile the kernel, and in debian stable, that's
> > always an older version than the default.) If you decide to go that
> > route, make sure you remove all nvidia packages from your system
> > first.
> Not to be rude, but I wouldn't trust nvidia drivers even if they were
> completely sandboxed.
>
> They A: hate free software, B: they require proprietary firmware and
> C: Are a huge security risk,
>
> then again, most processors are too... but that's besides the point.

..I use nouveau on a G96GLM [Quadro FX 770M] @ 1920x1200x32@60fps on
a Dell Precision M4400, it's the default driver and works well, even
on a KDE/Plasma setup. The only use I'd have for the nvidia driver,
would be for benchmarking Flightgear and for 1080p-and-up video.

..but how does nouveau and nvidia compare these days?

Scenarios always come in sets of three: