:: [DNG] devuan ascii - how much of sy…
Author: Dave Turner
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] devuan ascii - how much of systemd is still in there?
I'm running a very minimal install of devuan ascii on my old Apple iMac.

Using xdm to login, twm as the window manager, and xfe for file
management. Then dillo and Firefox for web-browsing.

Aptitude shows that libsystemd0 is still there but pulseaudio etc depend
on it and I have never been able to get sound working on the iMac using
any linux distro unless pulseaudio was installed. Aptitude shows that
nothing else with systemd in the name is installed, and as far as I am
aware libsystemd0 is there to fool those applications that need systemd
into thinking it is there.

I was having a rummage around in the /lib64 directory and there is a lot
of systemd stuff in there. Interesting, I'm not running systemd so I can
get rid of all that!

Bad move. All the X11 stuff stopped working, the terminal font stays at
an enormous size instead of switching to a nice 10point or whatever size
font during boot-up. And I can't even mount a usb drive the old way
doing sudo mount whatever.

Never mind, I can re-install. But all those systemd library files worry me.

Are they caused by allowing pulseaudio on there? If so, I'll have to try
using apulse or whatever to get sound working.

DaveT