:: Re: [DNG] Nvidia Drivers
Author: fsmithred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Nvidia Drivers
On 08/12/2017 10:53 AM, Ed Fletcher wrote:

> Thanks fsmithred. Got it with:
>
> # apt-get -t jessie-backports install libvdpau1
> # apt-get -t jessie-backports install nvidia-driver
> # reboot
>
> Hmm, bash screen, no windows.
>
> # nvidia-settings
>
> Says to run nvidia-xconfig. I find that in jessie contrib, add contrib to sources.list, update, upgrade.
>
> # apt-get install nvidia-xconfig
> # nvidia-xconfig
>
> It complains that xorg is not installed. This is where things went sideways. I followed the directions on -
>
> git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgrade-install-Devuan/wikis/Minimal-xorg-install
>
> because it seemed to be a solution. Now startx gives me:
>
> Fatal server error: (EE) no screens found
> xinit: unable to connect to X server
>
> # apt-get install --reinstall x-window-system
>
> startx still fails.
>
> I'm not sure if I've completely pooched it. If anyone can suggest a way out I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'll reinstall the OS and try again.
>
> Thanks,
> Ed

Was X working before you tried the nvidia driver? Does /etc/xorg.conf
exist now? If so, rename it so you can revert to a working X.

Maybe try 'apt-get -f install' (without any packages named) to install any
missing dependencies. I don't think that will do it, but it's worth a try.

Someone else is having similar problems, and it seems there's a mismatch
in versions of the different parts of nvidia.
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1540

I've used the nvidia driver in the past, and I tended to have better luck
using the binaries downloaded from nvidia. There are some tricks with
that, too. (you have to use the version of gcc that was used to compile
the kernel, and in debian stable, that's always an older version than the
default.) If you decide to go that route, make sure you remove all nvidia
packages from your system first.

fsr