:: Re: [DNG] Switching
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Switching
On Sat, Aug 05, 2017 at 09:28:02AM +0000, Weaver wrote:
> Greetings.
> Currently running Debian SID, with separate /, swap, and /home
> partitions.
> I don't suppose switching is as easy as simply replacing the / partition
> with a new install, preserving the old data?

When I do anything like that I usually copy the system partitions on
to now areas of the hard drive, edit /etc/fstab, and make sure both
sets of partitions boot properly.

Then if anything goes wrong with a dist-upgrade, I have an untouched
bootable set of partitions to reboot to and use as a fully functioning
base for recovery.

And of course, start by backing up your data. Just in case.

-- hendrik