:: Re: [DNG] Please keep 32-bits alive
Author: Arnt Gulbrandsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Please keep 32-bits alive
Hendrik Boom writes:
> How much source code actually cares whether pointers are 32 or 64 bits?
> How many packages are ctually affected?
> Any guesses?

a+b.

a = the number of things whose maintainers all use 64-bit OSes, and chance
to have a relevant bug. Given the number of small teams, I'm not at all
surprised if a hundred or more of the tens of thousands of debian packages
are affected.

b = the number of packages whose memory usage is heavily pointer-dependent
and that are used in big deployments. That does exist (say among people who
bin-pack microserver shards across iron to fill both RAM and CPU capacity)
but I'm willing to be that for devuan's purpose b<π (those people compile).

Arnt