:: Re: [DNG] [Desktop-Environment] Cin…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Adam Borowski
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] [Desktop-Environment] Cinnamon and MATE
On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 11:56:58AM +0200, Harald Arnesen wrote:
> Adam Borowski [2017-07-23 00:01]:
> > If the machine has >2GB ram, running a 32-bit kernel should be a crime.
>
> I run 32-bit Devuan on one Core2 machine. Why? I can't get Xerox'
> proprietary printer driver for their Phaser 6010N color laser to work on
> 64-bit. Several receipes on how to do this, none of them work.

Printer drivers work in userspace, not in kernel. 64-bit x86 kernels can
run i386 binaries just fine -- usually better than a 32-bit kernel would,
as there's no mucking with inadequate address space.

And on De??an, there's multiarch so you can mix-and-match binaries.
I don't know much about printing (I don't own a printer nor have a reason
to use one more than once per ~2 years), but AFAIK printer drivers are
separate processes so there's no ABI problem whatsoever.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ A dumb species has no way to open a tuna can.