:: [DNG] Please keep 32-bits alive
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Hendrik Boom
A: dng
Temas antiguos: Re: [DNG] [Desktop-Environment] Cinnamon and MATE
Asunto: [DNG] Please keep 32-bits alive
On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 11:26:56PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 06:50:19AM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> > you might probably want to have a look at:
> >
> > http://popcon.devuan.org/
> >
> > Whatever the statistical significance of those data, it seems that
> > between 15% and 20% of Devuan installations are on i386. So apparently
> > there is no reason at all to drop it, rather the opposite.
>
> Then this looks like a problem that needs to be looked at. There's no way
> that many people use gear from ≤ 2004 (or a brief throwback of early Atoms
> from 2008).

THere's at least one. My laptop runs an Atom processor. It was the
first EEEPC that was completely Linux-compatible without requiring any
nonfree drivers, and came out anout a year after the first EEEPC.

Until it came on the market, I was looking with dismay at all the
hugely expensive, overpowered, battery draining machines on the
market. Years later, I can still go to a coffee chop for an
afternoon's writing without needing to bring along a power supply.

It is still performing well. In fact, for some things (videoo codecs
coe to mind) it runs a lot better now than it did when I bought it)
Google has abandoned it, but I haven't, and Linux hasn't either.

I have upgraded the RAM from 1 to 2 G, and replaced the hard drive
with a much bigger one. It's running fine, and hasn't needed repairs.

By contrast, my 64-bit server is on its last legs.

All of these machines are old enough not to have malware built into
the hardware, as far as I can tell. I'm not looking forward to having
to upgrade to hardwar containing malware.

Please help keep 32-bit architecture alive. I've been running Devuan
since the alpha-2 release.

-- hendrik