:: Re: [DNG] [Desktop-Environment] Cin…
Author: Juergen Moebius
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [Desktop-Environment] Cinnamon and MATE
On Sunday, 23-07-2017 um 09:32 Rick Moen wrote:

> I commend this. At the same time, you would not use either of those for
> a new deployment of any kind, would you? Certainly, you would not
> expect any DE to run on them, let alone a modern DE Devuan is likely to
> fully support in the foreseeable future.

Of course I would not install any modern Linux on this old machines ;-)
But they have "cult status" and showes how long an Linux machine can
run and help save money and valuable raw materials!

> And, by the way, Steve Litt's scenario of Linux expansion in various
> Third World countries using scrounged P4 machines is also cheering,
> except for the bit about paying for the rather high amount of
> electricity they draw, which makes them a poor deal compared to more
> modern machines even if the latter cost more. Unless you own your own
> hydroelectric or photovoltaic plant, electricity isn't free.

This I see difficult to you. The costs of electricy power is one part, the costs
of purchase and service for new machines is the other. New machines haves
an shorter livetime, this is fact. And the consumption of electrical power?
This old machines I have described consumes only a litte energie of about
30 Watts per machine. Modern machines consumes more power I think ;-)

And finally, a long life is good for the nature. Precious resources are used
for a long time and less electronic waste is generated.

But still there is in the MusikShop an big modern LinuxServer with Debian 7
on it. At the end of the year, Devuan Linux will be installed.