:: Re: [DNG] [Desktop-Environment] Cin…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [Desktop-Environment] Cinnamon and MATE
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 22:17:09 -0400, Hendrik wrote in message
<20170722021709.GA8783@???>:

> On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 08:14:43PM -0500, John Morris wrote:
> > >

> > > As long as you're pruning, kill x64 as well, because the majority
> > > of computers sold are using ARM architecture and run Android or
> > > iOS.
> >
> > I think you are joking, but it helps not to confuse the three big
> > forks
> >
> > 1. Linux / GNU / X, this is the fork Devuan is on and few Devuan
> > installs are on ARM. At this late date, there probably aren't many
> > on x86_32 either. Which is why discussion of eliminating a big
> > chunk or archive space and compile time will continue to recur
> > until eventually nobody can muster a good argument for continuing.
>
> I'm still on a 32-bit Intel machine, and given an OS with the
> fficiency of Devuan, it's perfectly capable of doing what I need.
> Does this count as an x86_32? If so, I'd be happy with Devuan
> keeping it for a long time yet. If not, I'd like to know what it
> *does* count as.
>
> hendrik@notlookedfor:~$ uname -a
> Linux notlookedfor 3.16.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.16.43-2
> (2017-04-30) i686 GNU/Linux
> hendrik@notlookedfor:~$
>
> I'm *thinking* of upgrading, butt until I can get a better laptop
> that doesn't have significant vulnerabilities baked into the
> *hardware*, I'd rather keep using what I've got.
>
> -- hendrik

..aaand, it will run nicely on any on these once they get the manpower
they need to get restarted, which BTW is a nice way to grab those guys
over here to Devuan.
From https://www.debian.org/ports/:
hurd-i386    32-bit PC (i386)    The GNU Hurd is a new
    operating system being put together by the GNU group. Debian
    GNU/Hurd is going to be one (possibly the first) GNU OS. The
    current project is founded on the i386 architecture.
    in progress
kfreebsd-amd64    64-bit PC (amd64)    First officially released with
    Debian 6.0 as a technology preview and the first non-Linux port
    released by Debian. Port of the Debian GNU system to the kernel
    of FreeBSD. Is no longer part of the official release since
    Debian 8.
    in progress

kfreebsd-i386    32-bit PC (i386)    First officially released with
    Debian 6.0 as a technology preview and the first non-Linux port
    released by Debian. Port of the Debian GNU system to the kernel
    of FreeBSD. Is no longer part of the official release since
    Debian 8.
    in progress
netbsd-i386    32-bit PC (i386)    A port of the Debian operating
    system, complete with apt, dpkg, and GNU userland, to the NetBSD
    kernel. The port, never released, has been abandoned.
    dead
x32    64-bit PC with 32-bit pointers    X32 is an ABI for amd64/x86_64
    CPUs using 32-bit pointers. The idea is to combine the larger
    register set of x86_64 with the smaller memory and cache footprint
    resulting from 32-bit pointers.
    in progress

..until they start putting systemd on the above, all we need to do, is
mirror these archs just like any standard Debian mirror. A benefit we
will gain, is source code insight into how software is modified to run
on systemd while it remains viably available for e.g. hurd-i386.

..such sneaky systemd things will be visible to these developers in
package source or in compiler source or both. All we need to do to
win them over to us, is provide a viable alternative.

..once Debian does try put systemd on any of these archs, nothing is
lost, and we'll have a much better starting point for our Devuan arch
ports than we had for our first archs.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: