:: Re: [DNG] udev replacement
Author: Ralph Ronnquist
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] udev replacement

Steve Litt wrote on 18/07/17 06:10:
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 11:19:18 +0100
> KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 06:02:26PM +0800, Yevgeny Kosarzhevsky wrote:
>>> Thanks! Looks like I've missed this repo :)
>>>

>> Ok, be careful though, since stuff in experimental can be broken and
>> break other things, so you are warned :)
>
> 1: Is there a way I can install vdev and only vdev from experimental?
>    How?

a) ensure the experimental repository is among the sources, e.g. add a
file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/devuan-experimental.list with the content
(2 lines):

deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/devuan/ experimental main
deb-src http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/devuan/ experimental main

b) (personal choice) add "pinning" of these packages, e.g. by adding a
file /etc/apt/preferences.d/reluctant-experimental, with the content (3
lines):

Package: *
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 80

(I have 80; other people use 100 or 10.)

c) apt-get update

d) apt-get install -t experimental vdev

The last step should then install the vdev package, including the
replacement library for libudev1, and the init script. It will also stow
away bits of the udev installation so as to allow a later udev choice
(not reinstalling). See below.

Further, it will install the vdev init script overriding the udev init
scripts, and it will replace udev in the initram building.

> 2: Is there a way I can later go back to udev? How?

With some luck, the support script /usr/share/vdev/vdev-install.sh will
help you with that. You tell it your choice of either "vdev" or "udev",
and it changes your system accordingly if needed.

It's worth to note that "vdev" only manages the /dev and it ignores all
udev rules, in particular those that include running various scripts
upon hardware changes. If those are important to you, you should rather
consider using "eudev" which basically is a different udev
implementation (although trailing any udev development), and thus aims
to deal with the udev rules files in pretty much the way udev does.

Ralph.