:: Re: [DNG] Linus can no longer trust…
Author: Brad Campbell
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] --with-systemd
Subject: Re: [DNG] Linus can no longer trust "init"
On 12/07/17 02:35, Dragan FOSS wrote:
> On 07/11/2017 05:28 PM, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
>> make it crystal clear: fuck off the
>> upstream.
>
> Do you want to say that devuan users do not need any upstream that
> recommends systemd?
> For example, Postgresql?
> ***
> With PostgreSQL 9.6 or newer, it is recommended to build with
> --with-systemd and use the unit file shown in the documentation...
> ***
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Systemd

I read that page but my interpretation is different to yours.

I read it as "If you want to run PG 9.6 or newer with systemd, use this
option and the unit file we include. If you want to run an older version
the recommended approach is to write a unit file using Type=forking and
use pg_ctl for ExecStart and ExecStop."

There is absolutely nothing there that is mandating systemd in any way,
shape or form. They've just included code to make it behave better with
systemd if that is how you choose to build it.

Did I miss something or are you fearmongering?

Brad