:: Re: [DNG] Linus can no longer trust…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Linus can no longer trust "init"
On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 01:53:09PM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * On 2017 10 Jul 12:45 -0500, mdn wrote:
> > Le 10/07/2017 19:29, zap a écrit :
> > > I hope linus does something about it. I Really wish stallman would take
> > > this seriously as a security risk.
> > I too but RMS just care about licensing and a bit community relations
> > atm (from what I can observe).
>
> Unfortunately, that seems to be the case. Just because the code is GPL,
> it seems fine by him.

Sorry, but I really don't see what RMS should do here. He has focussed
his entire life on the fundamental problem of making sure that
software remains free, as in speech, and he has always (and
rightfully, IMHO) avoided to intervene in any technical battle we have
seen in the free-software world in the last 30 years, with the only
hilarious exception of the vi-vs-emacs farse, epitomised in the
fictious character of St. IGNUcious....

From a technical point of view, systemd is free software, and trying
to deny it is just stupid: you can fork the code from github, and have
a go at it, modify it as you like, and redistribute it under the terms
of the GNU LGPL 2.1 (yes, it's LGPL, not GPL). And concerning the
legendary "forced adoption", the distros out there have *chosen*
systemd, on the basis of a set of risible "technical aspects", but
still, they have *chosen* it.

So please, let's stop making fouls of ourselves. The problem is not
systemd being or not being free software, rather its creators and
sponsors being or not being well-intentioned towards the free software
community. And this is not a problem of RMS, or Linus, or anybody else
in particular, rather a problem of the community *as a whole*.

Instead of asking what RMS can do against systemd, I would rather ask
myself what I can do to avoid the systemd avalanche. Hoping that
Superman will zoom over New York and save the world will not help
saving the world.

HND

KatolaZ