Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Gnome, KDE?

hi Antony,

On Mon, 12 Jun 2017, Antony Stone wrote:

> So, are Gnome and KDE currently still "known to suffer from some glitches due
> to the lack of systemd" (and if so, are these documented anywhere)?
>
> Or can these be expected to work as well as XFCE, and as well as Debian Jessie
> would provide them?

in brief I think we can pretty much anticipate that KDE will work
great on future Devuan distributions, also according to recent tests
made by some enthusiastic members of our community using Plasma on
ASCII.

but not GNOME! As with systemd, we are confident this won't hinder
user's freedom of choice since one can always go use Ubuntu or Debian
which are offering that.

the reason why there wasn't much progress made on this front is that
in Jessie we concentrated on two main priorities:

- establish a solid team and infrastructure to make Devuan born

- establish a sustainable strategy to remove systemd dependencies and
monitor future ones sneaking in, while granting a reliable
transition from Debian 7 and 8 to Devuan 1

as we managed to reach these goals now we'll move forward making our
distro as universal as possible, hence supporting all DEs that can
work without systemd. This way we also hope to facilitate the work of
DE developers, which are welcome to get in touch with us, by providing
a clean and familiar environment where to triage systemd-free
functionalities.

ciao