:: Re: [Libbitcoin] SEGWIT kicks in Au…
Author: Eric Voskuil
To: Juan Garavaglia
CC: Libbitcoin
Subject: Re: [Libbitcoin] SEGWIT kicks in August 1:st. Will Libbitcoin have SEGWIT by then?
The libbitcoin documented soft fork policy is that we implement soft forks that are activated on the Bitcoin branch with the greatest work. Any person can today "activate" segwit by merely applying a new rule to require SW, which is essentially what BIP148 does. That doesn't however make it the branch with the greatest work.

If people choose to *consider* confirmations on a weak branch as sufficient for payment (i.e. money) they of course have that power, but it is an alternative money to Bitcoin and as such it is not my plan to dedicate previous resources to it.

This is not a statement for or against BIP148 or SW, it is just consistent application of a policy that has been in effect for a long time and was documented before BIP148 existed. The policy exists to preserve resources, given the large number of proposed forks, and to objectively maintain independence.

I agree that SW can be implemented quickly in libbitcoin, and we have put in place structure in v3 that makes it relatively straightforward. But it may also come down to developer availability. However the project is FOSS and anyone can issue a PR.