:: Re: [DNG] lost ability to execute
Author: Haines Brown
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] lost ability to execute
Did a re-install from DVD ISO on key.

I first commented all commands to boot Devuan partitions from my Debian
fstab. In BIOS I changed disk priority so that the Debian disk would
boot.

I booted the Devuan installer and choose expert install.

I select all defaults unless otherwise noted.

Detect CD drive does see my key with its Jessie 1.0.1 amd64 ISO.

I do not choose any installer components.

I had assigned the same machine name for both disks, but now change the
name for the target disk.

In partitioning, I realize that I have a backup USB drive connected, and
so disconnect it at this point. Next time I'll remember to have it
disconnected, but doubt it makes any difference. The backup disk does
not hold a copy of the root partition.

I install base system defaults.

I configure the package manager. This time I have no problem accessing
the DVD ISO for packages.

I deselect Desktop Environment for installation.

I install GRUB on my target disk.

I go to a shell and see that I still don't have a i386-pc directory in
/boot/grub, and so naturally when I reboot, the boot fails.

I'm about to do another installation, but this time don't do it as
expert, but follow all defaults, including auto partitioning and Desktop
Environment to see what happens.

Haines