:: Re: [DNG] lost ability to execute
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] lost ability to execute
On Sat, Jun 03, 2017 at 09:00:04PM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> Ged, thank you for the reply. But it leaves questions in my mind.
>
> On Sat, Jun 03, 2017 at 02:04:05PM +0100, G.W. Haywood wrote:
>
> > >Installation of Jessie 1.0.1 AMD64 went well.
> >
> > Considering what you write below, I'm not entirely convinced. :)
> >
> > >I did not install desktop packages during install, but instead xorg
> > >afterwards along with a lot of other packages.
> >
> > This starts to look like Pilot Error, but in fairness I suspect that
> > what you're trying to do might also be beyond the capacity of the
> > system that you're trying to do it with at this stage in its life.
> > Devuan Jessie is, in software terms, rather new. If you stress the
> > package installation you can expect to break it in interesting ways,
> > which may make recovery difficult if you're not an expert.
>
> I have an installation routine I've used since Lenny and perhaps even
> Etch. I stuck to it, and generally accepts defaults.
>
> The system is a bit old (3 yrs), but has 32 G RAM and 1 T disks. It
> should be able to endure an install.

Hi Haines,

I don't know exactly what your custom "installation routine" entails,
but since there have been a few dozen thousands successful Devuan
installations in the last few months, and nobody has reported anything
even remotely similar to the problems you talk about, shouldn't we
probably consider at least as a remote option the possibility that
there is something not entirely right in the custom procedure you are
using, or something peculiar in your specific system configuration,
that might have little to do with Devuan?

HTH

KatolaZ