:: Re: [DNG] trash
Author: Florian Zieboll
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] trash
On Sun, 28 May 2017 09:17:05 -0400
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> Along with gvfs-daemons, packagekit, packagekit-tools, and sane-utils.
>
> I've been wondering if I need those.

I have kicked out gvfs some time ago - the only effect I noticed was,
that pcmanfm's "trash can" disappeared, as well as its "usermount"
functionality. In the meantime I have switched to the more configurable
spacefm and am quite happy with that.

> The only one I have an idea what it's for is sane-utils. Presumably
> access to scanners.

As mentioned on this list some days ago, sane-utils is not necessary to
run a local scanner. It provides saned to remotely access a local
scanner. I just had a look: it also includes the commands scanimage and
sane-find-scanner (which probably would work perfectly fine with a
broken libsystemd0 dependency). So the vast majority of users won't
need it. IIRC, a sane developer had replied to that thread and said
that also saned just checks for the existence of libsystemd0 but does
not need it at all. So the "dependency" is null and could be removed.

libre Grüße,

Florian