:: Re: [DNG] My post about runit
Author: zap
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] My post about runit

On 05/27/2017 02:33 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently answered a runit subject post, and I just want to make it
> clear what I am and am not recommending.
>
> I'm not recommending that runit (or any other init) become Devuan's
> default init. That decision must be made by people with way more
> brains, information, and skin in the game than I.
>
> I'm not recommending that a runit package be made: I'm neither good
> enough at apt-get nor do I have the time to make such a package. Also,
> I tend to believe that simple inits are better built
> with ./configure;make;make install than via a package. My belief isn't
> shared by many, and in fact my belief might be disfunctional, but a
> person with my belief has no business being part of a package for a
> small init.
>
> There's a similar init system called s6. I like runit better because
> it's simpler. S6 is more featureful, maleable and robust. Both are
> simple enough. Both are featureful, maleable and robust enough. I could
> argue the merits of either over the merits of the other.
>
> The reason I offered help on runit but not s6 is I have much more
> experience and knowledge with runit.
>
> The runit install docs recommend untarring the tarball into /package,
> and recommend that the symlink directory be /service. These choices
> will enrage many admins, and are unnecessary. You can untar the runit
> tarball anywhere you want: even something like $HOME/systemd_killer.
> When they tell you to do /package/compile, you cd to
> $HOME/systemd_killer/admin/runit-2.1.2, and then do ./package/compile.
>
> Instead of doing ./package/install like the instructions suggest,
> do ./package/compile, ./package/check, and then manually copy the
> executables in ./package/command into /usr/local/bin. Do whatever must
> be done to transfer everything in $HOME/admin/runit-2.1.2/man to where
> it belongs in the /usr/local man system.
>
> As far as /service, I use /var/service. All that needs to be changed
> is to call runsvdir with argument /var/service instead of /service.
>
> If you want to have runlevels, here's the page that tells about that:
>
> http://smarden.org/runit/runlevels.html
>
> The head of the doc tree is at:
>
> http://smarden.org/runit/index.html
>
> My personal opinion is rather than packaging runit, s6, Epoch and the
> like, we should document a preferred way to install them in Devuan. I
> can help. And if they ever do get packaged, I hope the hell their
> packages don't de-install each other.

To be honest, whatever is the most stable, secure should be the default
init, and if the init is easy to setup, good that's a plus! if its hard,
still go with it because runit is easy to setup. if need be.
of course don't make another systemd fiasco either with a different
init, but regardless, those are my thoughts.