:: Re: [DNG] Adjusting LCD backlight i…
Author: Rob Owens
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Adjusting LCD backlight in XFCE4
On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Lars Noodén <lars.nooden@???> wrote:

> On 05/17/2017 06:08 PM, Rob Owens wrote:
> > On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Lars Noodén <lars.nooden@???>
> wrote:

> with

> > I did this just yesterday on a laptop running Funtoo with Fluxbox, where
> > the built-in function keys for dimming did not work. But I specified a
> > decimal, like this:
> >
> > xrandr --output default --brightness .7
> >
> > That worked for me. Maybe the problem is that you specified zero for the
> > brightness.
>
> Thanks for the reply. It seems that I cannot get anywhere with xrandr
> on my system:
>
> $ xrandr --output default --brightness .7
> xrandr: Gamma size is 0.
> $ xrandr --output default --brightness .1
> xrandr: Gamma size is 0.
> $ xrandr --output default --brightness .9
> xrandr: Gamma size is 0.
> $ xrandr --output default --brightness 1.9
> xrandr: Gamma size is 0.
> $ xrandr --output default --brightness 2
> xrandr: Gamma size is 0.
> $ xrandr --current
> xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
> Screen 0: minimum 1920 x 1080, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 1920 x 1080
> default connected 1920x1080+0+0 0mm x 0mm
>    1920x1080     77.00*

> Are there any preparations that need to be made first?

I didn't need to do anything except run that command, making sure to
specify the correct video device. I ran 'xrandr' with no arguments to get
a list of the devices on my laptop. I believe one of them said "connected"
after it, so that's the one I used.

Again, this was on a Funtoo system. Unfortunately I do not have a Devuan
system available to test right now.