:: Re: [devuan-dev] Vote: udev vs. eud…
Author: fsmithred
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Vote: udev vs. eudev
On 05/16/2017 09:32 AM, parazyd wrote:
> On Tue, 16 May 2017, fsmithred wrote:
>
>> On 05/15/2017 09:03 AM, parazyd wrote:
>>> Since I think the eudev package is now fairly ready, I'd like to ask you
>>> folks to test it (can be found in the experimental repository[1]).
>>>
>>> If all goes well, I'd like to call out a vote on whether this package
>>> should replace udev in Devuan jessie/ascii and be our default
>>> implementation of udev. Provided the outcome is positive: the udev
>>> package would have to be blacklisted in amprolla/dak.
>>>

>>> Let me know :)

>> I think it's too soon to make eudev the default for ascii. But I plan to
>> make some live isos with eudev for people to try.
>>
>> Also, if udev in ascii is causing problems, I might easily change my mind.
>>

> Keep in mind we are releasing an ascii alpha, not a stable version. With
> this we are able to test and figure out if there are any blockers. udev
> is a part of systemd and it will cause problems in the long run. To me
> it also seems ridiculous to run a very old version of udev (before the
> systemd coup I believe) in ascii - where you are supposed to get
> current-date software.

Right now, ascii has the same version of udev as stretch - 232-23. I don't
know what LP is on. (Oh, that phrase has several meanings, and more than
one can apply.) Are there any deal-breaker problems with that version? I
haven't played with ascii much yet.

I'm not opposed to releasing testing images with eudev, and I think it
will be easy to get people to test it. (Aren't they begging for it?) But I
think it would be a bad idea to upgrade those people running ascii now to
eudev. If there are any problems with it, you'll have some angry users.
Keep it optional for now, please.

-fsr