:: Re: [devuan-dev] Vote: udev vs. eud…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: parazyd
À: devuan developers internal list
Sujet: Re: [devuan-dev] Vote: udev vs. eudev
On Tue, 16 May 2017, Aldemir Akpinar wrote:

>    On 15 May 2017 at 16:03, parazyd <parazyd@???> wrote:

>>      Since I think the eudev package is now fairly ready, I'd like to ask
>>      you
>>      folks to test it (can be found in the experimental repository[1]).
>>      If all goes well, I'd like to call out a vote on whether this
>>      package
>>      should replace udev in Devuan jessie/ascii and be our default
>>      implementation of udev. Provided the outcome is positive: the udev
>>      package would have to be blacklisted in amprolla/dak.
>>      Let me know :)

>    I've installed eudev on a vmware vm migrated from Debian Jessie. Upon
>    reboot my eth0 is converted into a gibberish name which I find
>    outrageous.
>    So IMHO there two thing that we needs to be discussed and fixed if
>    everyone agrees:
>    Let's keep the ages old network card naming convention by default (ethX
>    is quite fine, try remembering those new horrid names and try typing
>    them all the time, makes ones life harder)
>    Also don't you think rule files should be placed in /etc/udev rather
>    than /lib/udev? I think forking udev doesn't mean that we need to
>    follow RH people's bad practices, does it?
>    And of course many thanks to everyone that spent their valuable time to
>    make us closer to a system without a systemd infection! I'd definitely
>    support a non-systemd udev.

This is yet another thing that I will attend to if the outcome of this
voting is positive. The "gibberish" interface names are there by
default, and before patching the rule that generates them, I would also
like to reach consensus for this, simply because the new names can be
mitigated by appending 'net.ifnames=0' on the kernel cmdline, much like
with udev.

As for the rules, the default rules are living in /lib/udev, much like
how udev does it. This should not ever be changed to vary from upstream,
it's a very bad idea. You can still put your own rules in
/etc/udev/rules.d like you used to.

--
~ parazyd
GPG: 0333 7671 FDE7 5BB6 A85E C91F B876 CB44 FA1B 0274