:: Re: [DNG] upgrade and dist-upgrade
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] upgrade and dist-upgrade
On Mon, 15 May 2017 08:44:33 -0400, Hendrik wrote in message
<20170515124433.GA29173@???>:

> On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 11:03:18AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Sat, 13 May 2017 01:06:38 -1000
> > Joel Roth <joelz@???> wrote:
> >
> > > Long before three weeks ago. I don't usually upgrade or
> > > dist-upgrade unless there is some particular need.
> > > Probably I'm not alone, even if that is not considered
> > > best practice.
> >
> > I never dist-upgrade. From what I hear, it breaks things. If I feel
> > the need to dist-upgrade, it's probably time to back up, reformat
> > the disks, and clean-install a later version.
>
> Do apt and aptitude have the same meanings for upgrade and
> dist-upgrade? Or is there a subtle difference between the two tools?

..no, dist-upgrade and upgrade are 2 slightly different tasks,
and apt-get and aptitude do things slightly differently, so
in combination you'll have 3 or 4 slightly different solutions
to conflicts, quite handy IME whenever you disagree with any of
those tools' suggested (dist-)upgrade solutions.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: