:: [DNG] recommending apt-get upgrade …
Author: Joel Roth
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] recommending apt-get upgrade before filing a bug report (was Re: reportbug default bts)
Harald Arnesen wrote:
> Steve Litt [2017-05-13 17:03]:
>
> > I never dist-upgrade. From what I hear, it breaks things. If I feel the
> > need to dist-upgrade, it's probably time to back up, reformat the
> > disks, and clean-install a later version.
>
> If you can't dist-upgrade, it's probably time to find another distribution.

I triggered this discussion by mentioning dist-upgrade,
however dist-upgrade isn't relevant to solving problems with
Jessie.

I was recalling previous experience with the infinitely
rolling updates of *unstable*, where a two-step process of
upgrade then dist-upgrade was less likely to break things than
dist-upgrade alone.

I stand by my original suggestion: that reportbug could help
reduce the noise of bug reports on outdated packges
by advising users to 'apt-get upgrade' (or in the case of
unstable 'apt-get upgrade' followed by 'apt-get
dist-upgrade') and rechecking the behavior before
filing.

--
Joel Roth