:: Re: [DNG] apt-get update issues tod…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] apt-get update issues today
On Sun, May 07, 2017 at 05:51:56AM -0500, hal wrote:

[cut]

> # grep -v \# /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/devuan.list
> /etc/apt/sources.list:
> /etc/apt/sources.list:deb http://us.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie main
> /etc/apt/sources.list:deb-src http://us.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie main
> /etc/apt/sources.list:
> /etc/apt/sources.list:deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main
> /etc/apt/sources.list:deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main
> /etc/apt/sources.list:
> /etc/apt/sources.list:deb http://us.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie-updates main
> /etc/apt/sources.list:deb-src http://us.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie-updates main
> /etc/apt/sources.list:
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/devuan.list:deb http://packages.devuan.org/devuan jessie main
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/devuan.list:deb-src http://packages.devuan.org/devuan jessie main
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/devuan.list:

Ralph has brilliantly answered your question in another email (that's
why I was asking what you had in your sources.list, indeed ;)).

In general, you should not mix repos from different releases, unless
you don't know exactly what you do, and how to get out of the
mud. Also, if you use Devuan then you should use exclusively Devuan
repos (you still have jessie-updates from Debian above...), and better
stay away from experimental (and pin it down to 100) unless you are
ready to deal with some breakage.

I have followed these simple rules since Debian Potato, always
remaining in the testing branch, and dist-upgrading in many cases over
three or four releases, without a single problem. Until Debian Jessie
came out, and I got an unrecoverably unbootable Debian after
dist-upgrade for the first time in my life. Luckily we are past that
stage, in the end ;)

My2Cents

KatolaZ