:: Re: [DNG] devuan install experience
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] devuan install experience
On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 12:37:13PM -0700, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Devuan Jessie installed without an issue on my Panasonic Toughbook CF-19.
> The main user experience issue so far is that it doesn't seem to install
> any way to handle wifi, and *wicd* doesn't seem ready for prime time as a
> WiFi manager.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> In particular, it's not as easy to use as the WiFi connection subsection in
> the Debian installer, which worked really well, so perhaps someone should
> pull out that logic and make it work standalone.
>
> The issues I noticed with wicd:
>
> Doesn't condense separate instances of an SSID into one. This makes it
> difficult to roam around a facility with multiple APs.
>
> Expects the user to choose a security protocol, without shortening the list
> to only the protocols the AP has offered.
>
> And then when I chose what I thought was the right protocol (wpa 1/2
> passcode) it didn't work anyway.

Hi Bruce,

in Devuan minimal-live there is a simple dialog tool called
"setnet.sh" which helps with basic network setup. It's not yet in the
Devuan repos (and that's mainly my fault: wil put it in experimental
tonight), but you can get the deb package here:

http://kalos.mine.nu/setnet

Nothing special, veryt minimal, and it might not be amenable to
everyone's taste, but any feedback is welcome :)

My2Cents

KatolaZ