:: Re: [DNG] ..vdev input in X, was:..…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..vdev input in X, was:..vdev box recovery ideas?
On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 23:06:53 +1000, Ralph wrote in message
<039e14e4-8f63-878a-5878-0e01bcb57b20@???>:

> Arnt Karlsen wrote on 26/04/17 22:01:
> > On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 18:52:58 +1000, Ralph wrote in message
> > <d67b7404-6f6b-0cff-bca3-a4582ab9d36f@???>:

> >> Yeah, you would do "lsmod | grep -w evdev" only, and apparently
> >> it's loaded, so probably not the issue. You can check inside
> >> initrd image that "evdev" is mentioned in the "conf/modules" file
> >> to ensure/verify that it happens early enough.
> >>
> >> Note that "vdev" itself is not a module, but is present in a number
> >> of pre-pivot init scripts, the vdevd daemon, and its configuration
> >> files. The vdevd daemon is run twice: once pre-pivot, then that one
> >> is killed and another is started via the /etc/init.d/vdev script.

> >> Perhaps /var/log/Xorg.0.log tells something.
> >
> > ..3 of them here: https://pastebin.com/qsNGW8G0
> >
> >> And I have this vague
> >> memory of being in that same situation, but I can't remember the
> >> resolution.
> >>
> >> Ralph.
> >
> > ..aye, had I remembered what I did last time around... ;oD
> >

> Right. My guess from those is in fact that evdev is not loaded early
> enough, because your logs don't mention it at all. I think the story
> is that evdev needs to be loaded to handle "device events" from vdev
> when it populates /dev/input, which it does at its pre-pivot run.
> little help, because there are no new device events.
>
> You can test that theory manually by the following sequence:
> # kill $(cat /run/vdev/vdevd.pif)
> # rm -r /dev/input && /etc/init.d/vdev start
>
> NOTE THOUGH that "rm -r /dev/input" may well kill your console input
> instead, and you might need to power-toggle to recover.

..we'll see about that, I have a ssh session handy. ;o)

> BUT, it's also believable (to me) that the restart of vdev after
> having removed all /dev/input/* entries will cause it to re-populate
> /dev/input, and now (since evdev has been loaded) it should also
> tickle evdev usefully. By that idea it should recover any lost
> console input as well as setting up evdev for the X input.
>
> In either case, you need to make sure that evdev is indeed in the
> "conf/modules" list in the initrd image, which is how it's loaded.

..no mention of it down my /etc/initramfs-tools/ tree, and, it
should have been in /usr/share/initramfs-tools/modules or in e.g.
/usr/share/initramfs-tools/modules.d/modules.vdev ?

..aaand, my initrd.img-4.9.0-2-rt-amd64 played tough, so more torture
ideas were needed, Osamu Aoki's getinitramfs script from Debian's
#790095 squeezed out my trashed cpio archive, which contains evdev
and vdev and a suspect "/conf/modules" with no mention of neither
vdev nor evdev. But it works and I wanna know how and why. ;oD

> If
> it's not already in there, your initrd is likely to be a remnant
> from your Gnuinos' vdev experiments, or at least, not an initrd
> including the Devuan's vdev scripting. In that case, a --reinstall
> could do wonders.
>
> Ralph.

..could, indeed. ;oD

Scenarios always come in sets of three: