:: Re: [DNG] ..vdev box recovery ideas…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..vdev box recovery ideas?, was: gvfs depends on libsystemd0
On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 14:16:03 -0400, fsmithred wrote in message
<fe3b3bbe-73fa-4590-75ea-15e142e82764@???>:

> On 04/24/2017 10:39 AM, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 08:43:35 -0400, fsmithred wrote in message
> > <1b574913-ccd5-2395-1c8d-2647d7e4061c@???>:

> >> <snip>

> >> jessie-vdev2 iso:
> >> http://distro.ibiblio.org/refracta/files/experimental/
> >>
> >> Notes:
> >> - boots to console, startx to get to openbox
> >> - If you want to get rid of the desktop background, it's in the
> >> spacefm settings.
> >> - usernames:passwords are root:root and user:user
> >> - There's a gear icon on the panel that opens a terminal running
> >> the... (I forget what it's called) script that lets you switch
> >> between udev and vdev. I assume that it still works, but I didn't
> >> test it on this install.
> >> - I think I have it set to not install recommends.
> >> - *systemd* is pinned, so no libsystemd0 or libpam-systemd
> >>
> >> (these are older than the vdev in the repo)
> >> vdevd-2.0.2, libudev_compat_1.2.1, vdev-initramfs_1.2.7
> >>
> >> fsmithred
> >
> > ..thanks, DL in progress. :o)
> >

> Update: I removed the 4.9rt kernel and replaced it with the regular
> 4.9-bpo kernel.

..looks like these are set up the same way as the Sid/Ceres ones, my
diff is also 222 lines.

> System still boots, and the live iso I made with it
> boots.
>
> http://paste.debian.net/929150/
> I ran a diff on the kernel configs, but I don't see anything obvious.
> A few months ago, there were problems with the 4.8-bpo kernel and
> live-boot. Some overlayfs and nls_ascii were missing from the initrd.
> That was fixed in the 2017 version of live-boot.

..one good thing about distractions is they buys me time to have other
people find out things for me. ;o)

..mounting it after dd'ing it, I see isolinux and boot/grub, but also
boot/grub/efiboot.img and efi/boot/bootx64.efi, and my box didn't
like Qubes-R3.2's way to "efi-boot", next boot to grub took an hour.

..your iso boots directly into isolinux or grub without messing up my
"efi stuffed bios"?

Scenarios always come in sets of three: