:: Re: [DNG] ..vdev box recovery ideas…
Author: fsmithred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..vdev box recovery ideas?, was: gvfs depends on libsystemd0
On 04/23/2017 07:13 PM, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 18:54:07 +0200, Arnt wrote in message
> <20170419185407.228cd18a@???>:
>
>> On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 02:21:53 +1000, Ralph wrote in message
>> <d3a264ce-a767-dffc-845d-d1eb26027a3e@???>:
>>

>>> Arnt Karlsen wrote on 19/04/17 23:17:
>>> [cut]

>>> I'm not sure it helps you, but I've made a vdev variant of most
>>> recent devuan_jessie_RC_amd64_minimal_live.iso (time stamped
>>> 2017-Mar-27 20:57) that I got from the official mirror
>>> http://mirror.sfo12.us.leaseweb.net/devuan/
>>>
>>> I purged a couple of things from it, then added and installed "my"
>>> vdev_0.1.1_amd64.deb, and made a refractasnapshot of this, into
>>> devuan_jessie_RC_amd64_minimal_live_vdev.iso, which is downloadable
>>> at https://www.uk.realsam.co.uk/files/devuan/
>>>
>>> It boots with vdev rather than udev, and udev remains installed,
>>> though with all its "competing" files tucked away. As you might
>>> know, this vdev packaging is different from aitor's packaging for
>>> gnuinos by not declaring a udev competition, but rather attempting
>>> to manage a dynamic choice of which one is in use. The software is
>>> otherwise the same, I believe.
>>
>> ..thanks, we shall find out. ;o)
>
> ..no joy this far, vdev does not work with any of my installed kernels,
> neither my dpkg variant of your vdev-assistant nor your original
> restores udev, so I'm stuck with live-CDs when I need to go online to
> chk things to read up on.
>
> ..you packaged your vdev differently than aitor, do I then use
> your deb(-src) lines in /etc/apt/sources.list and comment out
> his?
>
> ..another approach is ignore apt and dpkg, and simply drop in all
> files with tar or cpio or somesuch, haven't done that kinda stunt
> since my RH-5.2 days.
>
> ..if that fails, are you able to build me an old fashion monster
> monolithic kernel with nouveau, vdev and everything else compiled
> into the kernel, and not as modules, that I can boot without an
> initrd?
> Big size is no problem, I have 8GB ram, but no build box.
>
> ..if not, what do I need to build a vdev kernel myself on my
> box running your devuan_jessie_RC_amd64_minimal_live_vdev.iso?

I don't know if this would be of any help to you, but I have a vdev live
iso that I made using Ralph's vdev packages back in October. After reading
this thread, I decided to install it and upgrade to the 4.9rt kernel. It
boots normally.

What I can't seem to do is make a bootable iso with the 4.9rt, even after
upgrading live-boot, et. al. to the ascii versions. (There's a problem
with the bpo versions of live-boot missing some parts in the initrd
related to overlayfs and nls_ascii).

If you want to try the October live iso, let me know.

-fsmithred