:: [DNG] ..vdev box recovery ideas?, w…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] ..vdev box recovery ideas?, was: gvfs depends on libsystemd0
On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 13:56:33 +0200, Arnt wrote in message
<20170419135633.56c5b033@???>:

> On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 11:31:35 +0200, aitor_czr wrote in message
> <cbf052d3-aa6d-87bb-8c94-eacb0445c4a8@???>:
>
> > Hi Hendrik,
> >
> > On 04/11/2017 12:17 AM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
> > > What is the status of vdev? Is it packages and inthe repositories
> > > yet? Is it too much to hope it;s available in jessie?
> > >
> > > -- hendrik
> >
> > As fsmithred said in the irc, there are two sets of packages working
> > for now:
> >
> > https://git.devuan.org/devuan-packages/vdev (by Ralph Ronquist)
> >
> > and:
> >
> > deb http://packages.gnuinos.org/unsystemd jessie main
> > deb-src http://packages.gnuinos.org/unsystemd jessie main
> >
> > You have to run vdev-assistant in this second case. But be carefull
> > with the "live" hook in the initramfs-tools, it needs some simple
> > changes. Remove all the live-* packages from your system if they
> > exist, before installing vdev.
>
> ..I forgot this bit,

...wiped udev off my box and wound up with a box that boots oh soo fine
until it tries to load my new vdev initrd.img-4.9.0-2-rt-amd64 ...am I
the first one here to try this on a rt kernel?

..recovery ideas? Do we have any vdev live-cd?

..last time I did this stunt, I chrooted in off a Knoppix? iso,
I have memdisk and a few iso links handy in /boot, and Debian's
Sid vmlinuz-4.8.0-2-amd64, vmlinuz-4.8.0-2-rt-amd64 and
vmlinuz-4.9.0-1-rt-amd64 with systemd-udev initrd's, but they all
depend on a working install of udev AFAIK, and I'd prefer pushing
thru with vdev rather than going back to udev.

..has anyone here tried downgrading to Debian Wheezy era udev?

..looking for recovery live-cd idea starting points, I came across
32-bit https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/zz02debiandogwheezy.html
which could work both as a starting point for a live-cd and as a
starting point for an upgrade path for stuck Debian Wheezy people
via "Devuan-0.x Wheezy" to current Devuan-1.x Jessie.

..according to https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/ "DebianDog is very
small Debian Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux. Debian
structure and Debian behaviour are untouched and Debian documentation
is 100% valid for DebianDog. You have access to all debian repositories
using apt-get or synaptic.", creating "Devuan-0.x Wheezy Live-CD" etc
is trivial, toss their repos for ours, update, upgrade and remaster,
the 64-bit version likely needs to be built off deb-src lines.

..but first comes the classic chicken-and-egg 64 bit recovery
I need now. ;o)

Scenarios always come in sets of three: