:: Re: [DNG] tiny service state api [W…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] tiny service state api [WAS: Fwd: init system agnosticism]
On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 02:48:54PM +0100, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
> katolaz@??? writes:
> >Unfortunately we are already paying the consequences of badly-written
> >software implementing oddly-designed solutions to non-existing
> >problems...
>
> Indeed. But what's your point?

Oh, you are right, I didn't make it explicit: my humble opinion is
that the whole thread is not particularly interesting or useful in
this context, since all this fuss about monitoring/supervision boils
down to two alternative options:

a) you *really* need *strict* monitoring/supervsion. In this case,
you *don't* use a unix-like operating system, since you are always
left at least with the problem of monitoring the monitor (or
supervising the supervisor). But this is not a real problem, since
in those environments where *strict* supervision/monitoring is
*really* necessary, unix-like systems are rarely used, if ever, and
the scheduler also acts as a monitor/supervisor. So if you need
*real* *strict* monitoring, the whole topic is off-topic here.

b) you need *loose* monitoring/supervision. In this case, you pick
and choose among what is available, or write your own. In any case,
you get a monitor/supervisor running as a user process on top of any
general-purpose operating system, possibly a unix-like one, and your
applications must still be able to deal with faults,
inconsistencies, delays, and other issues. And sometimes you will
still need manual intervention nonetheless. The "everything will be
all right" theme is just dust in your eyes, because things are never
going to be all right all the time.

There is really no other reasonable alternative, IMVHO. But I am not
an expert in the field (though I am quite happy about not being an
expert, having seen what the "experts in the field" have been able to
come up with in the last couple of years...)

My2Cents

KatolaZ